Seminary Has Started
For those of you who don’t know – school is in session.
I am taking 4 classes this time around. While I’ll be swamped, it will be an awesome learning time. Many of the books I get to read, I would’ve wanted to read anyway. I’ll share as I go along.
I am taking . . .
- Thinking Theologically About Ministry – One goal is to have the students look at ministry with fresh eyes. Are we doing the expected traditional stuff because it is the expected traditional stuff? Or because that is the Spirit’s leading?
- Practising Prayer & Other Disciplines – Our prof’s goal is to have God explode in our quiet times because of the addition of these disciplines. For two weeks I’ll be concentrating on Confession and Holy Spirit Guidance.
- Theology 1 – LOTS of heavy reading. One of the goals is to develop a theo-centric worldview. I think I have one, but examination (from this class) will show whether or not I truly have God in the middle of all my life’s thoughts and actions. I am looking forward to discovering what I don’t know and then seeing how learning it impacts my worldview and life.
- Old Testament 1 – This prof is passionate about Christians knowing the Old Testament especially the first five books. In one class he showed how knowing the Old Testament and geography (yes, geography) expands, enriches and enlivens the New Testament. Wow! I guess memorizing map stuff will be worth that.
Lots and lots of reading.
Please pray that I . . .
- Read quickly
- Retain the important info
- Re-organize my schedule for maximum effectiveness between school and every other part if my life
- Meet with God daily in my personal time with Him
What are you reading right now? Learning in your quiet times? I’d love to hear.