Grateful for 5 Things Done From Summer Bucket List
For the past 6 years or so, we’ve been having a “Make It” contest at our women’s retreats. We choose an item (for example flip-flops, pot-holder, wand) and ask the women to decorate it according to one of the three categories chosen. Click on the contest rules link “Contest_Rules_potholders – 2009” to see the instructions for the Pot-holder Make It Contest.
Last year’s (June 2011) contest item was a pail. Through a time of brainstorming, my friend Geri and I went from pail to bucket. This led me to creating a Summer Bucket List using a turquoise beach pail.
I picked 10 goals for my Summer Bucket list. These 10 things were not specifically summer oriented, just things that have been on my mental to-do list for a l-o-n-g time.
I am good at picking goals. I am good at writing out how to obtain them by mapping out a plan and a setting realistic deadline. I am good at starting.
However, I am not too good at finishing. That’s why I look for creative ways like this to get things done. That’s why I put the retreat verse (Philippians 4:13) on the pail with puffy paint. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (I love using puffy paint even though it did come off in places.)
That’s why I wrote the following explanation on the required index card: “Because of God’s available strength, I am able to do many “impossible” things. I.e. Lose 10 pounds, declutter, and add new healthy recipes to my cooking repertoire.”
I started working on the Bucket List in Mid June. My finish date is September 30th. It is still Summer HOT here then.
I read this quote on FB the other day (thanks Anza): “When you have a desire, back it up with action or let it go. To believe you want something you’re not doing anything to achieve is actually deceptive” (Buster Carter). Ouch! It made me think about my Bucket List. I decided to see how far I had come.
To my amazement, I’ve completed 5 of the 10 items. And I still have 5 weeks left! I am grateful that God indeed has helped me with these items. I am grateful that I persevered in accomplishing these 5 things.
- Decluttered 3 boxes. I also went through my closet and gave away some clothing that no longer fit.
- Finished 3 homework assignments for consecration. One of the assignments took FIVE minutes to finish. I had procrastinated MONTHS and MONTHS in doing that final work.
- Bought new tops that look good on me and I like to wear. Last Spring I lost some weight and have been in need of new clothing. I am still looking for trousers that fit and look good. (Shopping is such a trauma for me.)
- Exercised 4-6 times a week doing something I loved. Since late April I have been exercising this consistently in order to get my (formerly) broken shoulder back into shape. However, I cannot say that I have found the exercise I love to do.
- Had a family outing. I was able to attend a dinner party my daughter had and both my son and I were able to attend along with some of her friends. I was hoping to spend the next day with both of them, but my son became ill. Had another great time with my daughter though.
This is good progress for me. Wahoo!
The other items on the list still to do are as follows:
- Write an e-book.
- Finish reading the Bible and then get a new one.
- Compile 7-10 new recipes that are healthy, tasty and become favourites.
- Read two books for fun.
- Lose 10 pounds.
Where have you made good progress? For what are you grateful that you’ve finished and/or that God has helped you accomplish? Go here to read what other’s put on their Friday’s Fave Five Gratitude List.
Related Posts . . .