5 Reasons to Not Decorate for Holidays
Did you know that Halloween is the 2nd most decorated holiday with Christmas being first? There are massive amounts of decorations for Thanksgiving, and of course, Christmas. Someone is buying all this stuff.
I propose that you don’t have to decorate in order to be and feel festive. Below are 5 reasons not to do so.
1. Stress. Most women I talk to say it’s “their” job to decorate their homes for the holidays. They feel overwhelmed as it is. This extra task is often not enjoyable simply because it is ONE more thing to do during a busy time. You will free up your time and have less stress if you skip this holiday task.
2. Not practical. Many people go overboard with their decorations spending time and money they can ill afford to spend. All this work for such a short time to enjoy. This is simply not a practical way to spend an excess amount of time, money, and energy.
3. Temptation to buy. It is certain that all these store holiday vignettes are beautiful. They fill us with cheer and bring back good holiday memories. How tempting it is to add one more yard decoration to our supply or a new
holiday tablecloth with matching napkins. These vignettes tempt us to add items to our to-buy list. If you don’t decorate, you can more easily say “NO” to more spending.
4. Storage. How many boxes of decorations are needed to make a home festive? With each new trinket that comes into the house, there is something else to store. Most homes don’t have excess space to store more stuff especially for something that is used one month out of twelve.
5. False advertising. The store holiday vignettes are meant to evoke happy feelings of joy, inclusion, and comfort. The stores hope that these feelings will induce you to buy their product so you can create the same scene at home. The problem is that scenes don’t bring lasting joy, inclusion, and comfort. Relationships are the key, not decorations.
Your Turn . . .
Maybe you don’t have an issue with any of the above. What reason would you add to this list of why not to decorate for the holidays?
- Christmas Table of Contents from Fruitfulwords
- How to Make a Christmas Card Wreath for $2.00
- Traditions: How to Get Past the Meaningless to Find the Meaning
- Winter Bucket List