5 Reasons I Love Winter
It would be so much easier to write a post on “5 Reasons Winter is a Bother.” Of all the seasons, winter is my least favourite. The winter season, December 22, 2011 – March 19, 2012, seems to last too long.
- I have lovely mittens and scarves, but lose track of them and don’t really care to wear extra clothing, coat included.
- I don’t wear my clothing according to season because the buildings are kept warm. Therefore I have no need for long sleeves or extra warm clothing. Plus the weather doesn’t stay cold for that long.
- I’d like to light my long, dark nights with candles but I forget to buy and then light them. And due to allergies, I have to be cautious about the candle scents.
- I cannot take my walks because California winters are normally rainy and slippery. However, I am NOT regular about walking. But I always think I want to take one when the skies are full of dripping rain clouds.
- GRAY skies and fog for much of the winter cause me to feel sad for extended periods of time.
BUT this site is called Fruitfulwords. Writing a negative post is not in keeping with my purpose for this blog. 🙂
I realize that by living in California I don’t have much right to even make such negative proclamations. I do not live where WINTER is a formidable force most of the season. Although I have lived places where WINTER included zero windchill and loads of snow (Colorado, Alaska, and Canada).
But in due diligence and fair hearing of all the seasons, I am going to dig deep and see what there is to love about winter – at least in CA.
1. Soups. I enjoy the comfort of a steaming bowl of soup especially when it is cold out. It is filling, tasty, and not much is needed in terms of preparation and clean up (assuming it’s pre-made). In the past I haven’t had much luck with making a good soup besides chicken tortilla soup. But I am learning to make some other ones that taste just fine. My current favourite is Fall Harvest soup. You might want to read 7 Reasons to Eat Soup.
2. Settle on the couch. Since evenings get dark earlier, this is a built-in excuse to cuddle on the coach for the long evening. I settle in with Chip (my 19 year-old, miniature, toy poodle), blankets, a mug of something hot to drink, with or without a book – dozing, thinking, reading. This is also one of my favourite ways to spend an afternoon.
3. Sound of rain. Winter in CA usually brings the rains. No need to turn on the radio or TV. I like hearing the rain when I am all snuggly at home. This is a soothing sound whether I am dozing on the couch, working on a project, or cleaning the apartment.
4. Snowflakes. Did you know that no two are exactly alike? Their shapes are delicate and amazingly beautiful. Snowflake Bentley is my favourite book about snowflakes. When I am around a snowfall, I love to stick out my tongue and try to catch snowflakes.
5. Stay home. Like I already mentioned, winter is normally a rainy season. I don’t like to get wet from a cold rain. (It probably wouldn’t be so bad if I’d wear my raincoat, mittens, and scarf.) So, I tend to limit my errands during the winter-wet days. Which is all good because then I get to do more of #1.
Your Turn . . . What are your feelings about Winter? List some of your favourite things.
This is the 16th post in the “5 Reasons I Love . . .” Series. Go here for the original post which explains how this idea came about. The next and also the last post in this series is 5 Reasons I Love Spring.
Related Posts . . .
My Winter Bucket List – I’ve made a list of items I’d like to complete this winter. Writing and following this list has made me more in tune with the opportunities and people around me. What’s on your winter bucket list?
10 Must Haves on My Winter Survival List – Susan from Between Naps on the Porch lists 10 things that help her get through the winter months. She lists things from Books to Wooly Socks. The most surprising item is static guard. Go have a read and see if you get a new idea.
50 Reasons to Love Winter– Sarah, from Pink of Perfection: a thrifty girl’s guide to the good life, came up with 50 reasons to love winter. There are at least 2 dozen more reasons in the comments. I love her #2: dogs in sweaters. Reading this list will brighten your mood if you are down.