11 Ways to Increase Intimacy with God: Part 1/2
Did you know that God wants to be in an intimate relationship with each of His children? It’s true. Below are just 2 verses that show this.
- Even before He made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in His eyes. Ephesians 1:4
- You didn’t choose me. I [Jesus] chose you. John 15:16
Read Psalm 139: 1-18. This Psalm shows how intimately God knows His creation.
Recently my 66 Love Letters group and I talked about intimacy with God. We wanted to figure out how we could become more intimate with God. We came up with the following ways to build this intimacy.
- Bible – Read it and study it. It is His Word so it records His thoughts and plans for you, His Creation. Read Psalm 119 and Isaiah 55: 1-9.
- Memorize – Having Scripture memorized will help you battle temptation, loneliness, fear, etc. It will put His thoughts into your thinking. It will bring you direction, discernment, strength, and peace. Read Romans 12: 2 and Hebrews 5:14.
- WWJD – This stands for What Would Jesus Do. Think about this and then do it. Imitating Jesus who imitated God is our path to knowing God better. Read John 6:37-40.
- Pray without ceasing – Have a continuous conversation with God. Let Him know your thoughts. Read I Thessalonians 5: 16-18.
- Silence – Have some silent time when you are with God. This gives you a chance to listen for what He has to say. Read Psalm 46:10.
- Light – Be the light that attracts others to God. Do this by doing good deeds and behaving in a loving manner. Doing this will bring pleasure to God and thus pleasure to your relationship. Read Matthew 5:16.
- Words – Watch what you say. Do this in order to be a good example and so you don’t foster a negative attitude. Use your words to build up others, to praise God, and to preach the gospel. Praising God in deed and word will deepen your relationship with God. Read Psalm 141:3 and Ephesians 4:29.
- Fasting – This is a way of showing obedience and love towards God. Sometimes it is related to answered prayer. Read Mark 9: 28-29 and Matthew 6:16-18.
- Obedience – Hopefully this is done as a response to seeing how much He has given to us. Read John 14:15.
- Fellowship – Spending time (quality and quantity) with other Believers builds the relationship (intimacy and integrity) with each other and with God. Read Proverbs 27:17 and Hebrews 10:25.
- Tithing – This can be done out of legalism or out of love. Again this is meant to be a love response to what God has given to us. Tithing shows you trust God to provide and that you acknowledge He is the provider of all you have. Read Deuteronomy 8:18 and James 1:27.
NOTE: Part 2 of this “Intimacy with God” series is here: Five Steps to Building an Intimate Relationship with God: Part 2/2
Your Turn . . . How is your intimacy with God? . . . . What is your preferred way of building intimacy with God? Please share that with us. . . . What would you add to this list?
Related Posts . . .
- Five Steps to Building an Intimate Relationship with God: Part 2/2 (by Fruitfulwords)
- What is Real Intimacy? by What is Real True Love?
- Being a Friend of God Worksheet by Dr. Charles Stanley
- Why Do We Have to Speak Positive & Encouraging Words to Each Other? by Christian Chat
- 6 Ways Christians Must be Obedient to God by Lee Andrew Henderson
During November I am writing or posting a photo about something for which I am grateful. This explains why.
Gratitude for November 12: I am grateful that He wants to have an intimate relationship with me. I am grateful that even though God KNOWS me, He wants to have this relationship.
To see my list of gratitude for each day, go to the post , Personal Gratitude Prevents Burnout. Then click on the (more…) button at the bottom of the page. As I write the day’s gratitude, I will hotlink the day.