Sweet Potato Burritos
I like to make several batches of these yummy burritos at one time. I foil wrap them to keep in the freezer. Besides a dinner entrée, these are great for a snack or even breakfast.
I made a batch for my daughter-in-love’s freezer after the baby was born.
- 5 sweet potatoes or jewel yams
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into crescents
- 1 medium yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Dash salt & pepper
- Dash crushed red peppers
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 (14 ½ ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12- 8-inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (Can use as little as 1 cup.)
- Non-stick spray
DIRECTIONS FOR SWEET POTATOES
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Put whole oil rubbed sweet potatoes into a shallow baking pan. Use 2 Tablespoons of oil. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until done.
When they are done, skin and then mash them.
While potatoes are baking, prepare the filling.
In a large skillet, heat remaining cooking oil (1 Tablespoon) over medium heat. Add onion, cook and stir for 3 minutes.
Add bell pepper, cook and stir 5 minutes more.
Add corn, garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and red peppers. Stir and cook for one more minute. Add black beans, undrained tomatoes, and mashed sweet potatoes. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. . Cool down. Add cheese.
MAKING THE BURRITO
Soften the tortillas according to the package.Fill the tortilla with 2/3rd cup of filling, roll up burrito style.
Place in a greased 12” x 9” baking dish.
Spray enchiladas with non-stick spray.
Bake in a 375 oven for 20-30 minutes or until crisp.
 You can use a 29-ounce can of sweet potatoes packed in light syrup or water. Drain and rinse thoroughly before mashing and proceeding with the recipe.
Your Turn . . . Do you have a vegetarian burrito recipe to share?
Related Posts . . .
- 2 Sweet Potato Recipes: Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- 7 Reasons to Eat Soup
- Sweet Potato Lentil Stew in Crock Pot
- Recipe Index