Making a Mini Teacup Pincushion and Ideas from Others
I like pincushions. I don’t know why as I am not an avid sewer or needle-crafter.
I have the requisite tomato pincushion that I got when I took sewing in junior high school. I remember when the girls HAD TO take Home Economics (sewing and cooking) and the boys HAD TO take shop classes in school.
I have some small teacups. I thought it would be a fun and useful craft to make my own teacup pincushion from one of them. I made one last night and it is now part of my 21 Days of Tea series.
- So I layered quilt batting (rough cut into the size of my circle which was 5
1/2 inches), steel wool, and quilt batting.
- I put this sandwich onto my fabric circle and pulled tight the gathering strings.
- I added more batting until it was stuffed.
- Then I stitched the circle closed.
Your Turn . . .
- Do you have a tomato pincushion? Any other kind?
- When/if you make your own teacup pincushion be sure to let us know here.
- Did you check out any of the pincushion links? If yes, which pincushion(s) are you yearning to make?
Crafts & Food Made for the 21 Days of Tea series . . .
Here are pincushion instructions and ideas from other crafters . . .
Craft Gossip has many pictures and their links to all kinds of pincushions. Check out some that she featured . . .
- A Heart pincushion you can tie onto your sewing basket.
- A pincushion made from a mini frame
- Cupcake shaped pincushions are sweet
- Fashion an African violet pincushion out of a bottle cap. You can’t kill this one.
- This turtle pincushion is to swim for.
21 Days of Tea is after the jump.
- Sweet & Spicy (cinnamon dominant herbal blend)
- Zen (lemon grass, spearmint, green tea)
- Rainforest Red (red rooibos, hibiscus, chicory root, blackberry leaves, orange peel, ginger root, acai)
- English Breakfast
- Earl Grey (blend of black teas, oil of bergamot)
- Tulsi Sweet Rose (blend of tulsi and sweet rose)
- Pomegranate Raspberry Green Tea (green tea, chamomile, hibiscus flowers, orange peel, citric acid, pomegranate flavor, raspberry flavor, Japanese matcha)
- Green Moroccan Mint (green tea, spearmint, peppermint, lemongrass) – all organic and fair trade certified
- Orange Spice Black Tea (blended black tea, orange peel, cinnamon, orange oil, clove flavour)
- Russian Morning #24 – loose leaf (Russian blend of black China, Ceylon, and India Teas)
- Green Tea with Blueberries (Green Tea with Nature Identical Blueberry Flavour )
- Constant Comment (black tea with orange rind, sweet spices)
- Japanese White Tea Powder
- Winter Solstice (blend of black teas, spices, vanilla, citrus)
- Wild Raspberry Hibiscus Herbal Tea (hibiscus, orange peel, lemongrass, rose hips, raspberry flavour, licorice powder, citric acid)
- Tangerine Orange Zinger Sweet Iced Tea (hibiscus, rosehips, orange peel, hawthorn, tangerine, rebiana, blackberry leaves)
- Coconut Chai (Ceylon & Assum Tea, cinnamon, ginger, Island coconut)
- Honey Vanilla Chai (white tea, black tea, roasted chicory, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, black pepper, nutmeg, honey)
- Compare 3 Earl Grey Teas. See Day 6 for ingredients.
- Sleepytime Extra (chamomile, tilia estrella flowers, valerian, spearmint, West Indian lemongrass, hawthorn, orange blossoms)