31 Days of Finishing – Day 14: Little by Little a Lot Gets Done
Do you think you have to daily devote huge blocks of time to a task in order to make sizable progress? I used to think that. But these past weeks in October have shown me something different.
Review of my past 2 weeks.
- I did my 31 minutes of finishing every day.
- I wrote about each experience except for one day.
- My car’s maintenance is just about done. The list was over-whelming at the beginning. But spending 31 minutes a day for two weeks has added up to a nice chunk of stuff being done (even with a few days off from working on my car to-do’s).
- I have used this 31 minute concept in two other areas: walking and reading (classics). I have missed two days of walking and none of reading. Before October 1 I was more of a hit-and-miss type of gal.
- And 31 minutes at a a time, I have done the following: . . . . Created a Facebook page for family mini videos (did this 3 times) . . . . . . Looked at Reminder Lists on phone and did as many as I could in a 31 minute block of time. . . . . . Finished reading The Winter of Our Discontent (John Steinbeck). . . . . Cleaned out the fridge.
Moral of the story? 31 minutes devoted to the same task each day over weeks DOES add up to a LOT getting done. I have several areas of DONE that proves this to be true (for me). And remembering this is a great motivator for me to get in my 31 minutes.
Try it – I bet it would be true for you, too.
Today’s 31 minutes was NOT devoted to a car to-do. Instead I tackled my table at home. It houses my bills, art and letter writing supplies, books I am reading or want to read, electronic cords, and my computer. My 31 minutes did not make this area all tidy, but at least it is better,
During this month of October I am joining LOTS of bloggers hosted by The Nester who will be writing every day about a topic. My topic is about finishing. I will spend 31 minutes each day on a to-do item (from the secondary list).
I will write about it and share any productivity tips I find helpful to FINISHING things.
Go here for the Landing Page with all the posts (which go live as they are written). The list is towards the bottom of the page. Go to the following link for Day 15: Capture To-do Lists on Your Phone.
Your Turn . . .
- Do you have a place that is your catch-all for all manner of things? If no, what is your tip on keeping such piles at bay?
- Do you have a BIG to-do that you are avoiding but could be tackled little by little?
- What did you cross off your secondary to-do list today?
Related Posts . . .
- 12 Motivating Ideas for Goal Achievement
- Baby Steps Aid in Weekly Goal Completion
- Progress is Progress Even When the Steps Are Ridiculously Easy