31 Days of Finishing – Day 22: Dejunk a Drawer
Have you ever counted how many drawers you have in your home? I just did = 9. This is not including cupboards (23), shelves (4), closets (3), garage (single car), bookcases (3), or flat surface that collect ‘”stuff” (10).
No wonder I have issues. There are LOTS of places in my home where “stuff: can be stuffed. I have been decluttering for a while now, but I still have too much “stuff.”
So today’s 31 minute mission was to clean out one of the drawers (kitchen junk drawer). I watched Tiny (making of tiny houses) while I cleaned, sorted, and threw away.
Moral of the story? I have too much stuff! Sorting is a great way to reconfirm that. Who needs this many pens? Old receipts? Business cards? Batteries? Matchboxes? Sticky note pads?
It did take me longer than 31 minutes. In fact I spent two 31 minute sessions (that’s how long the free hulu movie was).
I picked the junk drawer to sort because it was a small, contained space and probably wouldn’t take me forever to clean out. It is true no-one will usually see what I did. But I know. It is like one of those geodes that has something precious and beautiful inside.
Just like a geode, this tidy drawer makes me smile. I keep opening the creaky drawer to have a look. I LIKE this minimalist look – at least in the drawers.
Doing this 31 minute project (x2) has spurred me on to cleaning more drawers.
So my tips today are for you to . . .
- Pick a small, contained space to tidy.
- Give it a 31 minute session or two.
- Watch a movie while doing this.
- Be ruthless in sorting.
I ended up with a bag full of trash (receipts, business and appointment reminder cards) and lots of pens and notepads to take to work. However, some of the pens I will turn into flower pens.
But what will I do with the matchboxes? I don’t remember why I bought them or where. I didn’t know they still made these. Or maybe they are THAT old.
I came across some ideas on Pinterest . . .
- chest of drawers for tiny treasures
- motivational stickers to put inside,
- booklet one and booklet two
- tiny kitty for tiny hands
- Make an ornament: link one – 50+ideas, two – a bird house, and three – tree or snowman
What would you make?
During this month of October I am joining LOTS of bloggers hosted by The Nester who will be writing every day about a topic. My topic is about finishing. I will spend 31 minutes each day on a to-do item (from the secondary list).
I will write about it and share any productivity tips I find helpful to FINISHING things.
Go here for the Landing Page with all the posts (which go live as they are written). The list is towards the bottom of the page.
Your Turn . . .
- Are you great at keeping your “stuff” contained”? Or do you constantly have to battle it, like me?
- When was the last time you looked into your junk drawer with the intent to clean it out? To de-junk it?
- How will you use your 31 minutes of finishing today?
Related Post . . .
- 2 Decluttering Tips From This Week’s Decluttering Challenge Entries
- August Declutter Challenge – Day 19 (Truth in Labeling)
- From Eyeglasses to Snowman Ornament (tutorial)
- From Sticks to Twig Christmas Tree
- Glittered Ornaments