3 Ways I Made My Day on Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day and even the whole week is hard for some. It can be hard whether you are in a relationship or not. For many there is rejection baggage connected to this festive day.
I know. For years I’ve had issues with this holiday. It was 14 years ago, the weekend after Valentine’s Day, when my (now former) husband told me he wanted a divorce. So for many years I’ve relived that rejection every Valentine’s Day. Now I don’t feel that pain.
I did three things.
- I concentrated on telling myself the truth. I am not perfect but I am lovable. God, the Bible, and important, healthy people (in my current life) tell me so. . . . I have a list of Bible verses that I frequently read. . . . I practiced believing people when they complimented me. . . . I went to therapy and coaching to sort out the lies from the truth. . . . I also did the things mentioned in this post: 20 Ways I Handled My Breaking Heart (from divorce)
- I made different memories on Valentine’s Day and week. It helps that one of my nieces was born on February 14th. Each year we have an ice cream waffle breakfast and a family dinner that night. I also do special things for myself that week . . . craft . . . watch Oscar nominated movies . . . and spend more time with folks who LIKE me.
- I made other people the focus. . . . I sent kiddy Valentine’s cards – because they are silly people smiled when they opened them up. . . . I did Random Acts of Kindness. . . . I called up some folks I haven’t talked to in a while.
Read Thursday’s post 5 Ways to Make Someone’s Day.
- What is your attitude regarding Valentine’s Day? Thumbs up or thumbs down?
- If it is thumbs down, what can you do to change your perspective and thus feeling about this week and day?
- What action step will you take today?
- Go read this Anti-Valentine’s Party post. This could be a fun way to spend Valentine’s Day.
- Love is in the Air
- So when was the last time you belly laughed? Cried? Written in 2007,
- Twenty Wishes Can Change Your Life
- 10 Things I Like About My Best Friend
- 5 Ways to Make Someone’s Day on Valentine’s Day