Musicals Bucket List – My 59th Year Challenge
In these last few years, I’ve often done a yearlong challenge that commemorates how old I am. And there is the added bonus that the challenge helps me remember how old I am.
- One year I collected that number of Operation Christmas Child boxes.
- Twice I read that number of books.
- And this year, my 59th year, I am going to watch musicals. Between March 2017-March 2018, I will watch 59 musicals.
Yes, believe it or not, there are THAT many musicals. In fact there are 100’s of them. TRULY.
- For example Shirley Temple movies are musicals (I think all of them are). And she has made 37 such movie musicals. .
- And it never occurred to me that many of Disney’s animated movies are also musicals.
So just between these two sources there are about 100 musicals.
I found several links that pointed me in the right direction:
- Top 100 Greatest Musicals
- The 100 Greatest Movie Musicals of All Time I have seen 52 0f these.
- Top 100 Musical Movies I Want My Children to See by Their 18th Birthday – This post breaks the musicals down by age group. I have seen about 70 of these. I will use this list over the coming years as viewing suggestions with my grandchildren.
And I asked my friends on Facebook to recommend their favorite musicals. They gave me 78 ideas.
I picked this challenge because I thought I hadn’t seen very many musicals. Boy was I wrong. On most lists I’ve seen about 50% of the titles. Yet, there are huge gaps in my viewing history. And there are more than 59 musicals I could see.
I made up a list of potentials musical dates. I will see what I can see through Amazon streaming videos, Netflix, the library, thrift store, friends’ collections, and the stage. Since I might not be able to find each one, this list will most likely change.
Which ones on my to-watch list have you seen?
- 42nd Stree
- Across the Universe
- An American in Paris
- Anchors Aweigh
- Babes in Arms
- Babes in Toyland
- Barefoot in the Park
- Calamity Jane
- Chorus Line
- Christmas Carol with Kelsey Grammer
- Duck Soup
- Easter Parade
- Finian’s Rainbow
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
- Guys and Dolls
- Happy Go Lovely
- Hello Dolly
- High School Musical
- High Society
- How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
- Into the Woods
- Jersey Boys
- The Last Five Years
- The Lego Movie
- Little Shop of Horrors
- Man of La Mancha
- Meet Me in St Louis
- The Mikado
- Moulin Rouge!
- On a Clear Day You Can See Forever
- On The Town
- The Pajama Game
- Princess and the Frog
- The Producers
- Robin and the 7 Hoods
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Second Chorus
- A Star is Born
- State Fair
- Sweeney Todd
- The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
- Viva Las Vegas
Your Turn . . .
- Do you do anything special to commemorate your own birthday? If yes, what?
- Do you do yearlong challenges? If yes, how has that gone and what do you do?
- Are there any musicals I should add to my list?
Related Resources . . .
- 3 Reasons to Watch Christmas Movies
- Did I Read 58 Books Last Year? Summary of My 58th Year Challenge
- Finding Laughter: Funny Christmas Movies
- Finding Laughter: Funny Halloween Movies
- My 55th Birthday Yearlong Plan
- My OPERATION Christmas Child Plan is to Collect 55 Shoe Boxes
- Seven Reasons I am Grateful for Music